Wednesday, November 2, 2011

That's Odd!?

My friend back in Utah asked me when I first got to India what had surprised me the most. My answer at the time, was that even the Indians find 80, 90, 110 degrees, hot! I figured that if it was hot year round one would be used to it. So, as it were, I have decided to dedicate this post to other things I have either found odd or novel. The most obvious (at least to me) are the toilets.



One stands or squats over the hole, Indian style. I'm still not used to it, but thankfully a lot of places have both a western and Indian style toilet to choose from. The trains have both but what goes in the toilet goes right on to the track... 


For, 'She' or 'He'


I love that the woman in the sign is wearing a sari.

Another thing that gets me every time are the, 'exotic' toppings. Notice on the menu, American Corn..My personal favorite. The other day at the vegetable stand we frequent, the shop owner proudly told me that, MY grapes were from California! Yesterday at the stand he showed me some beautiful peaches, Rs. 1000 a kilo!!!! That's like 20 bucks a pound!!!!



It's also not often in American life that one sees, camels, pythons, cobras, elephants and monkeys, outside of a zoo- if ever! The snake charmer with the cobra scared me to death! Turns out, the fangs are taken out so if they bite there is little to no harm. I'll stick with the python, thanks.






MONKEYS!! and..


Monkeys!! ;) These are Laxmi's kids, Heymuntsu and Gita.


And of course, Coke. WEIRD!! Ever been to the Coke bottle in Vegas? Tried Coke from a different part of the World? Coke bottles their product locally so every location has its own distinct taste. The coke here doesn't taste like American Coke, that's for sure. While there are Coke signs EVERYWHERE, Thumbs Up seems to be the drink of choice and bottled by Coca-Cola.



There you have it, my little tour of oddities. I love that everyday I discover something new. Stay tuned for more!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment