Monday, November 28, 2011

A fest of a different kind. Happy Thanksgiving!

I wish I knew how to adequately describe my experience on Thanksgiving day.  Maitri runs a health camp one Thursday a month at the rickshaw slums.  It just so happens that this month it was on Thanksgiving.   


Arriving early, the first thing we saw were the rickshaws (they refer to this area as, "the garage") 


Behind 'the garage' was our tent.  The small shack to the left of the tent is Maitri's permanent structure, where the examinations would take place.


I love this poster.


The majority of this population are immigrant workers, so health camps like these are very important!


Just outside the tent a woman was cooking lunch in a small fire inside her the hut.


Everyday, all day, men take out their rickshaws, hoping for some kind of work.  Work is hard to come by and when it does it is no more than about Rs./ 10-20 a day.  About 40 cents. 


There are so many children and all of them were playful and respectful.  This little boy was naked except for the shirt he is wearing.  Most of the children had very dirty clothing or none at all.


This little boy was so cute!  He was hamming it up for the camera.  Look at his feet.  He is able to walk but I have to wonder what his life would have been like had he adequate healthcare as a baby.


Men waiting outside the tent.  I asked a member of the Maitri team where the women were?  He said that HIV, TB and other communicable diseases are so stigmatized, especially for women that they don't seek or receive treatment.


Brochures with HIV/AIDS information.  I learned however, that 80% of immigrant workers are illiterate


Maitri team


The children loved having their pictures taken!  They were in and out of the tent trying to get our attention all day.  At one point they started to sing us songs.  Adorable!!



Lots of little boys- not a lot of girls.


This woman came to show us her baby.  She is so cute and little yet you could tell there was something wrong with her.  It was sad to see.


More little boys trying to get our attention.


We were asked if we would like a tour of the community.


This is where a whole family lives.


As we walked further into the slum it was evident that there were little resources.  Including running water and toilet facilities. 


This was kind of random.  A beautiful marble slab was just laying in the dirt and garbage.  It is SO beautiful.


We weren't very far into the slum when our guide told us that we should turn back.  With the unhygienic conditions it was not safe to continue.


   You can't see it in this picture but his stomach was swollen from malnourishment. 


This was AMAZING!  I was so impressed by this man from the, Indian AIDS Foundation.  They were there in partnership for the health camp.  He started a magic show and suddenly there were people from the community enthralled with his tricks.  It was brilliant because he had everyones rapt attention when he did a trick that turned a magic wand into a huge banner in which it had HIV/ AIDS information and the importance of getting tested and prevention!  I was just so impressed.


I called my mom later in the afternoon to wish her a Happy Thanksgiving and I went on and on about this magicians best trick!!


Daily life.


Ajay (ah-jay) and Mintoo are the go-to guys for Maitri.  The 3 of us girls have little crushes on both of them!!!  They walk around holding hands, all the men do as it is a cultural thing.  You NEVER see a man and woman holding hands.


This little boy stole my heart!!  He's just so cute with that hat!!  All of the other children wanted their pic but not him.  I had to sneak this picture!


I pinched the cheeks of one of the little boys and he pinched mine back.  It was so precious!! 


The kids were just so fascinated by us- as were we, by them!!


Picture inside the shack where the Dr. met with patients


Entrance


The migrant worker program is headed by, Piyali. 


Family inside the slum.


The children followed us out to our car where they proceeded to wave and tap on the windows to say goodbye.  

When we got home Sarah and I were exhausted (Liz was a hummingbird as usual)  My energy was zapped and I went home to take a nap.  I wondered later that evening why I was so tired.  I think the emotional stress was too much.  I have never seen anything like that slum in my life.  I am so blessed.  I can't believe how blessed I am.  All the little things I squabble about seem so trivial compared to these people.  Thanksgiving has a new meaning for me and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment